Thursday, May 10, 2012

A Day in History and a rant.

I saw it first on facebook, I then followed the link to watch this video from President Obama, yesterday. I cried.

It’s a huge day in history, it makes him the FIRST American President to flat out say it. Out loud. To support gays in marriage rights.

It may not happen right now. It may not happen for years… but he said it. And hoping this is one of those moments in history that get’s the ball rolling, that changes history and someday we look back and wonder why it took us so damn long to stop judging and let people love.

If you don’t know it by now, I’m a HUGE fan and supporter of the LGBT community. I’ll be attending my 6th Annual Chicago Pride Parade this June. I go with my best friend, our good friend mm, other friends who come along (every year it’s different people) and of coarse I go for my Robbie. He’s my cousin who is more like my brother. His partner Phil and I met a few years back at a parade. It’s an amazing event.

It’s not perverted and gross like some think. It’s beautiful. it’s one HELL of a rainbow day. It’s people saying “Happy Pride” ALL day long, It’s that ONE day of the year, you can be YOU. And not be judged. It’s strangers smiling at each other, wishing for equality, and supporting each other.

I received this email today from Obama…

Friend --
Today, I was asked a direct question and gave a direct answer:
I believe that same-sex couples should be allowed to marry.
I hope you'll take a moment to watch the conversation, consider it, and weigh in yourself on behalf of marriage equality:
http://my.barackobama.com/Marriage
I've always believed that gay and lesbian Americans should be treated fairly and equally. I was reluctant to use the term marriage because of the very powerful traditions it evokes. And I thought civil union laws that conferred legal rights upon gay and lesbian couples were a solution.
But over the course of several years I've talked to friends and family about this. I've thought about members of my staff in long-term, committed, same-sex relationships who are raising kids together. Through our efforts to end the "Don't Ask, Don't Tell" policy, I've gotten to know some of the gay and lesbian troops who are serving our country with honor and distinction.
What I've come to realize is that for loving, same-sex couples, the denial of marriage equality means that, in their eyes and the eyes of their children, they are still considered less than full citizens.
Even at my own dinner table, when I look at Sasha and Malia, who have friends whose parents are same-sex couples, I know it wouldn't dawn on them that their friends' parents should be treated differently.
So I decided it was time to affirm my personal belief that same-sex couples should be allowed to marry.
I respect the beliefs of others, and the right of religious institutions to act in accordance with their own doctrines. But I believe that in the eyes of the law, all Americans should be treated equally. And where states enact same-sex marriage, no federal act should invalidate them.

Political gain? Meh… I’d like to think it’s not. I’m not naive, I know it’s an election year. This may make or break it for him. But I do believe that in his heart it was time to stand up for what he thinks is right.

I thank Mr. Obama. I’ve been a fan, I voted for him into this Presidency, and will again this fall. This just made me more proud to call him my President.

Speaking of Political gain… today my Village Idiot (President) posted on his facebook page, that President Obama should be talking about issues that really matter, war, job loss… and on and on about how gays and marriage is not an issue.

I was appalled. I knew this was a close minded town, and I know around Christmas this same Village Idiot went on and on, on facebook about how CHRIST was in everyone in our towns Christmas, and poo poo’d the people like me who say “Happy Holiday’s” and celebrate Christmas for the sake of Santa, stockings, snow and family time. I wasn’t a fan that he was talking for ALL of us.

I HAD posted a comment on his facebook hate of Obama rant, and non important issues like gays. I said “This IS a real issue…” but I removed it because I was disappointed in the amount of people who agreed with him, and was slamming the topic. I just couldn’t handle it in my in box. Not this early in the day, not before my coffee.

I feel horrible for the children. Of these people. That they are learning to judge so early in life. That they are taught that same sex love is wrong, that marriage is ONLY between man and woman… OPEN your heart and understand it’s NOT the way it’s meant to be. And PULLEASE don’t pull any of that bible verse on me. I don’t get how people can run with one verse about one thing, twist another verse, and then ignore some all together because times have changed.

And I’m not saying that people have to agree with me, or my views. But do NOT teach your children to hate, to judge to look down on others because it’s not what YOU believe it right. It’s just down right bad parenting. It’s bad behavior. It’s your job to teach them to to love, to judge on character.

It’s pathetic that my Village is run by this ass. Who by all means is allowed to have his own opinions and ideas. I sure don’t agree with them, but when you’re a leader of some sorts, I’m thinking you can keep these to yourself. Probably not post them on facebook for all the village to see. But maybe it’s a good thing. Because now I see what he is truly about.

I only hope more and more people from Chicago and the suburbs move out here, that this small town becomes more open minded, about gays, race, or religion.

A big SMH (shake my head) to the Village Idiot. And a big hug, high 5, and thank you to Mr. Obama for standing up for your views, for saying it. Out. Loud.

JCat McGack

For more awesome clips on this….

1 comment:

Nikki said...

love. I would love to know why this "leader" of your village does not think people's basic rights and denying human beings the rights afforded to others is not an issue. He probably agrees with all the crazy laws that various states are trying to put on our wombs though, right. Because my personal uterus is a federal issue but entire human beings being denied rights isn't? This man needs to open his mind and his heart. It's a shame that those who fought to end racial segregation are mostly gone because maybe these folks could learn a thing or two.